Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Get Behind Me, Satan!

One of my goals for this year was to choose healthier choices.  Some days, I don't want to make those choices.  Some days, I just want to lie around the house and watch tv.


Yesterday, was a day I wish I could have actually gotten out.  But I couldn't.  On Monday evening, one of our neighbors stepped on a step that had lost it's metal brace (several weeks before) and fell backwards down the stairs.  I watched the whole thing and immediately opened the door to see if she was okay.  Our downstairs neighbors immediately called management, and they came shortly after the phone call.  I think the woman was more scared than anything.


Long story short, yesterday they decided to replace all the stairs (except 3...don't ask me why) on our stairway.  So I was trapped.  I wish I had a firefighter's pole to slide down.  :]  It was a beautiful day, and I really wanted to go on a walk.  So when I woke up this morning, I knew that's what I was going to do.


It's supposed to rain the rest of the week, so I wanted to get out while I still could.  So this morning, I did my Bible study and got ready to walk.  It was extremely humid outside, so I knew my hair was going to be crazy.  Oh, the joys of having curly hair. :]  I've been having pain in my lower leg on the side of my calf when I work out.  It's frustrating...and hinders my aerobic activity.


Today, I got halfway around our apartment complex and was feeling really good.  I thought about heading to the fitness center and running on the elliptical, but Satan kept saying, "Your leg will hurt.  No, just walk to your apartment. No, don't turn.  You should just do your 1.3 miles and go sit on the couch."


Ever have one of those days?  Oh, I hate it!  His temptations are so enticing.  I knew that I had to have self control, so I kept walking.  Right up to the fitness center.  Then I kept hearing, "You should only do 15 minutes.  Your leg is going to hurt."  Usually, I run on the elliptical for 30 minutes, but I haven't been able to do more than 15 minutes for the past several months because I've had so much pain.  Well, I moved that number up to 30 minutes, and I ran my little heart out.  


I was nice and sweaty and felt good about myself!  Then I walked out the door and the rest of the way to my apartment...like I was on a mission.  :]  I felt good because I didn't hurt.  But what felt even better is that I defeated Satan in that moment.  


One other way that I'm defeating Satan this week is by tracking what I eat.  I hate tracking calories, but I thought I might as well do it for a bit and see what my habits are.  I'm using My Fitness Pal (if you use it, add me: bethelaine_07), and it's been helping.  It definitely helps with my frame of mind when I want to eat junk.  I don't let Satan tempt me into it...knowing I'll have to write it down. :]


One verse that keeps popping up in my head comes from 1 Corinthians 10:13:


"No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man."

It's true.  And honestly, it's the first part of the verse that gets me through.  "No temptation has overtake me!"  Don't let Satan's temptations get the best of you.  Defeat him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]