Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

The Legacy of the Bunton's

Five years ago, I found a church in Springfield that I loved.  I went with my cousin during the school year and by myself during the summer.  I didn't care if I went by myself, because I loved it so much.  The people there just made me feel very welcome.  


Several months after Tyler and I started dating, we thought it would be a good idea to go to church together.  Tyler and Rachel (his sister) wanted to find a church in Springfield, because the one they had been going to was too far away.  So I went "church-shopping" with them.  We visited several Baptist churches, but didn't particularly like any of them.  So I thought I'd try to "convert" them over to the Christian church by inviting them to Northside. ;] Honestly, I thought they wouldn't like it since we do a few things differently.  Communion, for instance, was new for them since we take it every week, and it was what I had missed when we visited the other churches.  To my surprise, they both actually really liked it!  I was so excited!


The moral of this story is that I never would have imagined that we would be involved in such a wonderful church.  Fast-forward a couple years, and here we are.  Tyler has gotten involved with the Praise Team playing drums.  We joined a small group that has welcomed us in with open arms, and we've come to find out that we have some of the same hobbies in common.  Also, I joined a women's Bible study, which has been a total blessing in my life.  We're really blessed to serve in an amazing congregation.


Tuesday night, we met with our small group and talked about the battle for Holiness.  It was a convicting study, but so great to have accountability from these people.  Afterwards, we were on the way home when Tyler said something that got me thinking.  He said that I grew up in a family that won't stop talking about God.  I wasn't understanding why he said such a thing, but he went on to explain that some families don't talk much about God outside of church.  He said my family is ALWAYS talking about God, and is constantly bringing everyday activities back to Him.  I really took that as a compliment, and it made me proud to be a "Bunton."


The more I got to thinking about it, the more I realized that's what being a Christian is all about.  I am way beyond blessed to have a family that who would do anything in the world for just about anybody (maybe not KU or Cubs fans). ;]  That's what family is all about.


While I have been blessed with an amazing extended family, I have also been blessed with such great parents.  They are some of the most Christ-like people I know.  I don't just see this because I'm their daughter, but I see this in the people that ask to talk to them for advice.  I see this in the people that they invest their time and resources in.  I see this in the hospitality they have when they invite others into their home or to the lake.  I see this in the servant attitude they always have.  I see this in the junior high girls and high school boys that they're investing their time to teach.  I see this in their everyday life.


Wow.  What an amazing testimony.  Many of us can learn from them, myself included.  When Tyler and I start a family, I want to talk with our kids everyday about God.  I want them to know what their number one priority should be.  God is not a taboo subject.  He created you and me.  He is the reason we get up in the morning.  He is the reason we breathe.  We should give Him praise and thanksgiving every day, not just on Sunday.


Funny thing.  Growing up I thought my family was strange, and we've had out go-rounds.  Now that I'm an adult, I'm so thankful for them.  I'm thankful for my grandparents who taught my aunts, uncles, and Dad about Jesus.  They prayed for their kids to accept Christ as their Savior, and prayed that they might find Godly-spouses, and now my Granny prays for her grandkids (Grandpa passed away 5 years ago).  I'm so proud of my heritage.  The Bunton's have a legacy, and I proudly choose to be a part of that legacy.  


Thank you, Bunton Family, for giving me a visual of what family really is and what it really means to be Christ to others.  I'm blessed to be a part of a wonderful family.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this post. SO true!!! I find myself being thankful to be a Embree... more than I ever thought I would be!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Bunton's!!!! :):) Your family is a blessing to SO many!! :) Love you MUCH!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]