Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

21 Days

In 21 days I will be marrying my best friend in the entire world.  A new chapter will start with him by my side.  We've gone through pre-marital counseling with two different people, which was our choice.  A lot of things we talked about in those meetings were common sense, however we both know we need to work on some of those things.  See, we're not perfect and life can be cruel.  We are both committed to each other and this is our forever.


In the past year, we've not only been planning a wedding, but we've been planning a marriage.  I've listened to a lot of people give advice.  I've tried to gather my thoughts and sort through all the words thrown at me.  But the most important words that were given to me are from God.  


I've been reading from Proverbs 31 where it gives the example of how a wife shall live.  Over the next 50, 60, or even 70 years of my life, I want to be living out this passage of scripture.  I know that it won't be easy, as God has not promised an easy life.  Satan is ever present in this world, and I know the he will try to attack our marriage.  


I want to be the wife that Tyler wants to come home to each night.  I want to live in a marriage where the romance will still be alive when we're 60 years old.  As I live these days and learn more what it means to be that kind of a wife, I want to track my journey.


As I read my mom's Proverbs 31 Woman magazine the other day, I read an article on how to make your marriage a love affair.  The whole article was centered on one question:  What have you done today to make your marriage a love affair?


That question really struck a chord with me.  In this self-centered world, it's so easy to think about yourself.  It's easy for me to think about myself when I'm planning this wedding.  It's MY day, so why can't I have it MY way?  However, in thinking about mine and Tyler's relationship, I really did have to ask myself what was I doing to meet his needs?  It's not a one-time question, but an everyday question.  It's not a quick fix over night, yet a conscious decision every, single day.  Yes, we're still dating for the next 21 days and his needs will become different then.  But I can still adapt that question to our relationship now.  It is definitely worth it.


Christ as the center of the relationship, and question in hand:  What are YOU doing to make your relationship/marriage a love affair?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]