Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day

Valentine's day is somewhat of a silly holiday.  I hated the day in high school.  I remember my freshman year, a guy in my youth group bought all of the girls a single red rose and stuck it in their locker...except for me.  Now, I look back and it's not a big deal.  But when you're in the moment and it's Valentine's Day...it sucked.  Every girl wants to feel cared about, and I didn't feel that way.  My mom would always buy us something small to make it special.  It was always fun to look forward to those gifts.


When Tyler and I were dating, he always had the attitude, "Been there, done that.  Stupid holiday." But now we're married...time for a new attitude! :]  This year, I even gave him subtle reminders that V-day was coming up by asking him what we were doing.  


So he took me to the Cheesecake Factory last night for supper (it was as surprise).  He also bought me a ticket to the Extraordinary Women conference in Tulsa in March.  I am excited to go, because my momma is going with me! :]  Jeremy Camp, my all-time favorite singer is going to be there, along with Francesca Battistelli. YAY!  


We came home and I gave him my gift.  I was totally excited about giving it to him.  I had worked really hard on it, and I was hoping that he would like it as much as I was excited to give it to him.  And now, I finally get to share my excitement here!!


I got the idea from this blog.  I thought it was really neat, so I thought I could do it for my husband.  I call it the Date of the Month Club.  I started out just writing a list of things we could do.  It was hard to really plan, because at the time we had no idea where we would be for the month of March. (For those of you who don't know, March 29th is Tyler's last day in OKC.)  Planning was actually harder than it sounds because we haven't actually lived in STL yet either!  With help from my friend, Kelsey, (by the way, if I forgot to send you a thank you, THANK YOU!!!), she gave me some ideas of things to do in the area.


Then I cut up little cards with the month on them.  These are for clues.




I wrote each clue on the card and bought the needed accessories to go with each date to put in the envelope.  These are pre-planned, and mostly pre-paid.  I also planned some weekend getaways to use throughout the year.




I wrote a card introducing him to is gift.  I told him what he got and how to use each thing.  Then, I wrote a Date Agreement Card.  He had to agree to those things, sign the card, and return to to me in exchange for some Romance Reward Tickets.  He also got a special bag of chocolate caramel (because that's what I like) in exchange for real kisses.




I searched high and low for a box to put it all in, but I finally found one at Hobby Lobby (my most favorite craft store)!  AND it was half off!!! 




I jazzed up the envelopes a little bit as well.  I didn't like the boring yellow, but I didn't want to decorate them a whole lot since they would most likely just be thrown away.



I was really pleased with how it turned out, and I really hope that Tyler likes it as much as I do.  I am super excited about our date nights for the next year!!  The best part is that each one isn't super expensive.  They are interesting and cheap!  I'll give you all a monthly update after we go on our date! :]



1 comment:

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]