Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Dad is Courageous

Tyler and I just finished watching the movie, "Courageous."  Oh my goodness...if you haven't seen it yet, GO rent it!!! Seriously. 


I really appreciate my dad, but that movie just made me appreciate him that much more.  I'm so blessed that God gave me Matt Bunton to be my father.  I'm not sure if he signed a resolution or not, but I can see that he was the dad that I needed (and still need).


He worked (and still does) really hard every day so that he can provide for his family.  He doesn't have a normal 8-5 job, and never will be able to have a job like that.  He works early mornings, late nights, Christmas day, on my wedding day, on his birthday.  It doesn't matter when it is, he is usually working.


It doesn't matter how old I am, he will sit down with me and tell me what I'm doing wrong and tell me that I need to change it.  But he will also sit me down and tell me what I'm doing right.  He has always told me the words every child needs to hear, "I am proud of you.  I love you." He will give me Godly advice when I don't know what to do. He prays with me (and Tyler too) before we leave.  He prays for me.  He continues to lead me to the Cross through his actions and words.


My dad took me out to supper on my birthday when I was 14 and gave me the most beautiful diamond heart necklace.  His message was the same as the man's in the movie was to his daughter.  He had my heart until I got married, and honestly, he will always have a piece of me.  No matter where I live or who I live with.


My dad is a man of courage. He didn't care what the father's of my friends were   doing or letting their daughters (or sons, is more like it) do.  He knew that he has to answer to God about how he raised his kids and how he led his family.  I'm grateful for a huge example in my life.


I pray that Tyler will be a courageous father when we decide to have kids.  Side note---SOOOOO many of my friends are pregnant right now, and I'm SOO glad I'm not one of them.  I'm happy for them, but I'm totally not ready for that chapter yet...kids are forever, and I'm enjoying some freedom.


As I was watching that movie, I was thinking that it not only challenges fathers to step up to the plate, but it encourages me to step up to the plate as a Christian.  I need to be a woman of integrity (I'm not saying that I'm a disgrace, just clarifying), and a woman who will (eventually) be a Godly example for my kids.  I need to be a Godly example for anyone who passes my way.  


I'm so thankful that God forgives me and tosses my sin as far as the east is from the west (Psalm 103:12).  I mess up, and a lot of times I mess up bad.  But God forgives and gives me another chance to start over.  He gives me yet another chance to become that Godly woman.


One song that I've been singing for the last week has a really catchy chorus.  I just want to share it:


You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of us

It's so true.  If we allow Him, God will make beautiful things out of us.  I really want that.  I want God to use me.  I want God to make something beautiful out of me that only He can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]