Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I Found Strength in My Struggles

In early April, my mom asked me if I would want to go to Colorado with her, my aunt, and my cousin at the end of May if I didn't have a job yet.  I was thinking, "Yeah, right.  I will most likely have a job by then."  But I told her yes!  I mean, who would turn up a trip to Colorado??  

Well, I wasn't thinking much about the trip, and at the beginning of May, she asked me again.  I hadn't even talked to Tyler about the possibility, because I was so sure I'd have a job by then.  But as the possibility of going seemed like a bigger window, I decided I would talk to him and see if he cared.

As of Memorial Day weekend, I didn't have a job.  In fact, the running joke would be that I would leave the state, and all these people would call me for interviews.  So I decided to go to Colorado for a Girls Trip 2012 (we do these almost every year).

Well, it was Thursday that we went out shopping.  We ate a late lunch, and as my purse was hanging on the back of my chair I felt it vibrate.  I really just thought it was Tyler texting me, but it kept vibrating.  So I pulled it out to see a local STL area code.  I had no idea who it was, but thought I should answer it.

It was the company that I interviewed with the Wednesday before Memorial Day weekend!  I didn't think the interview went all that well, and I had talked to Tyler about my concerns.  

I think God had other plans for me.

The company offered me a full time position in the Accounts Payable department.  They offered me the exact salary that I was asking from other companies (they didn't ask me what I would want for compensation, and I actually hadn't even filled out an application).  They also wanted me to start at the end of June, so I didn't have to worry about taking off for Mackenzie's wedding.  What a relief!

Honestly, I wasn't too excited about the offer right away.  I had turned another position down earlier in the month, and I just needed to pray about it.  I talked to Tyler and my dad, and they both seemed fairly excited.  My mom was really happy for me, but I hadn't allowed myself to be excited yet.  The more I prayed about it and slept on it, the more excited I became.

On Monday, I received a call from them, and they actually wanted to move my start date up!  Holy moly.  So I now start Monday!  I am really excited about it, and I feel like life is looking up.  I feel like my life can now start in St. Louis.

Jeremiah 29:11 says, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord.  'Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.'"

God really does want to best for each of us.  He has a plan.  His plan [most of the time] doesn't line up with ours.  We have a "want it now" attitude, and He will make us wait--to give us what we need at the exact time we need it.  We just think we need it now.  In that waiting time, so many lessons can be learned. Some of the things that I've learned through this "trial" is to be patient. In the past, everything had come easy for me, and most of the time had been handed to me on a silver platter.  I got what I wanted:  a position on the cheerleading squad, a [basically] full ride to college, a SOAR Leader position, my first "big girl" job that I interviewed for the day before I got married.

This time, I think God was teaching me that it's okay to struggle.  Living on a single income for what will now be 6 months, has been a struggle.  We had to figure out a budget.  Living 4.5 hours away from my family has been a struggle for me.  Having absolutely no friends here has been a huge struggle (I'm a people person).  

Struggling is God's way of saying, "Hey, wake up!!  I'm the only friend you need."  I truly believe that.  Now, I'm not saying that I have gone through huge struggles.  I know there are people that have gone through worse things than I have.  My struggles are probably minimal to some.  But I'm just telling you my real life.  I have been incredibly blessed in my life.  I'm thankful for all the blessings God has given me.  He gets all the credit, because without Him, I am nothing.  

I am so thankful for this job opportunity.  I pray that God will be able to use me, and that I will finally be able to see St. Louis as home.

For all of you struggling to find a job, hang in there!  I know it's hard, but you will come out stronger than you were!  And that old saying is really true:  "Good things come to those who wait."

Thank you for all your prayers!  I really appreciate them all!  You are all fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]