Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2018

A Night in Venice

The theme of prom that year was "A Night in Venice." My class was in charge of transforming the high school gym to look like Venice.  It was probably a good idea that I wasn't on the Prom Decorating Committee because I had no clue how that transformation was going to happen.

I did show up and help where I was needed.  I've never been one to shy away from a challenge, so I got busy draping gossamer and lights.  I don't remember much about the decorations except for one thing: there was a gondola. 


The only gondola that I had ever heard of was one on the side of the mountain in Colorado. In fact, I had even ridden on one of these:





What the heck was a gondola doing in our Venetian-themed prom decorations?!  Good thing they didn't put me in charge of creating one...it wouldn't have been what they were going for.  But I finally understood that it was more like a canoe than anything else.  Why didn't they just say so?!

I do remember it looking quite romantic.  There's just something about twinkle lights that can romanticize anything. But I was a hopeless romantic, and I was in love with the idea of a Venetian gondola after that evening.  That was 12 years ago when my reality became my dream.



Fast forward a year and my family went on a Christmas cruise where I fell in love with being able to see other countries from a boat.  I loved loved loved that vacation.  It definitely makes my list of top three family vacations of all time.



Fast forward another year when I went to college. My cousin was studying abroad, and I was enthralled with her stories and travels. Since I was only a freshman, I was a little intimidated by the thought of living so far away for 4 months and not being able to come home to see my family.  However, the thought did grow on me, especially when I found out that there was a program called Semester at Sea.  That's right...you could go to school on a cruise ship.

After visiting the financial aid office, I found out that my full-ride scholarship only provided $3500 of the $20,000 tuition. Needless to say, I didn't end up participating in that program.  Instead, I fell in love with a boy.  He didn't like the idea of me being away for so long, and I liked the idea that he cared so much.

So I didn't study abroad.  I didn't even travel abroad.  But I have always wanted to.  It's a dream that I've held onto.  I've visited many countries while on cruises, and I've been on several mission trips to Mexico. But I have never been to another continent.

Europe has been my dream, and in six days, it will finally {Lord-willing} be a reality.

I have been planning this trip over the course of several months, and while planning, I've received many questions.  It's my hope to share the whole process here with you so that you can read about my craziness, but that I will also have something to look back on to remember.

Other Posts in this Series:
London #1

1 comment:

  1. This info you provided in the blog that was really unique I love it!!!Venetian Squares.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]