Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

Confetti Chicken Pasta

This recipe is for the more advanced cooker.  So if you're just beginning, I wouldn't advise you to start with this one...


I saw this recipe on Pinterest and it looked delicious so I thought I would try it.  There are two sections to this recipe:  the veggies and pasta and the spicy cream sauce.


Ingredients:
Veggies and Pasta:

  • 16 oz of whole wheat penne pasta (I got the 13.25 oz and it was PLENTY)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper
  • 1 cup broccoli florets
  • 1 cup asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
  • 1 cup grape tomatoes



Directions:
  • Cook your pasta and let it drain.
  • Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.  Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook chicken until done.  Remove and let rest in a big bowl.



  • Add the remaining oil and begin sauteing the onions for 2 minutes. 



  • Add in the garlic and the bell pepper (I used orange and yellow...I'm sure you can use whatever color you'd like).  Saute for another 2 minutes.



  • Then add in the broccoli and asparagus (I couldn't find any fresh asparagus, so I left it out).  Saute for another 2 minutes.



  • During the last minute, add in the tomatoes.



  • When everything is cooked, combine the veggies with the chicken in the big bowl.
Ingredients:
Spicy Cream Sauce:
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 2 cups half & half
  • 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
  • 1 cup feta cheese
Directions:
  • In the same pan you cooked the chicken and veggies in, melt the butter over medium heat.  Toss in the flour and stir, cooking 1-2 minutes.
  • Slowly add in the half and half while stirring to prevent any clumps forming.  Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes and allow to simmer until you see boiling action.  Stir periodically.  (We don't like hot things, so I left the red pepper flakes out.)

  • When the sauce begins to thicken and bubble, turn off the heat and add in the cheese.  Stir until it's melted.
  • To assemble everything, add the pasta to the sauce.  It gives it a nice coating before you add the veggies.  The pour the chicken and veggies it and mix.



  • The recipe says it will feed 4, but I think it could definitely feed 8 normal sized people.  (I say "normal sized people" because I come from a family with boys over 6 feet tall and they love to eat.)



Happy cooking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]