Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Freezer Cooking Part 2

Yesterday, I got the chance to do more freezer cooking.  It only took me a couple of hours and now my freezer is stuffed to the brim!


I only ended up making meatballs, breakfast burritos, soft tacos, and marinated chicken. However, if I would have made any more, I wouldn't have any room to put them in the freezer.




Italian Meatballs:
Ingredients:

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 lb turkey sausage
  • 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup almond flour 
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 tbsp basil
  • 1 tbsp garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp onion salt, optional
  • 28 oz organic tomatoes, crushed
Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, except the tomatoes.  Shape into golf ball sized meatballs.  

**Place into the crockpot that has been lightly brushed with olive oil to prevent sticking.  Pour tomatoes over the meatballs.  Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.

***This recipe wasn't specifically a "Freezer meal," but I knew that I was going to freeze them anyway.  Instead of ground beef, I used ground turkey (which is cheaper) and I used oatmeal instead of almond flour.  Technically, this is supposed to be a Paleo-friendly meal, but I'm not Paleo.

The meat balls were too sticky to put into a freezer bag right away.  So I got a cookie sheet out and covered it in parchment paper and stuck my meatballs on it.  Then I cleared out a space and stuck the pan in the freezer for about an hour.  This froze them just enough to put them in a freezer bag without problem!

This whole meal cost me about $7.12.




WW Breakfast Burritos
Ingredients:

  • 4 whole eggs
  • 12 egg whites
  • 18 slices of shaved deli ham, chopped
  • 8 whole wheat flour tortillas
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheese

Directions:
Beat the whole eggs, egg whites, and ham until well blended.  Heat a nonstick skillet, sprayed with cooking spray, on medium high heat.  Add egg mixture; cook until set.


Spoon egg mixture into center of tortillas; top with cheese.  Fold in opposite sides of each tortilla, then roll up burrito style.


Wrap in foil; place in freezer bag.


**This is a Weight Watchers recipe.  I'm not sure how many points it's worth though.  It is only 190 calories per burrito, though!


These burritos only cost $0.75 a piece, or $6.03 total!



WW Chicken Burrito Wrap
Ingredients:
  • 1 oz ranch dressing salad mix, dry
  • 7 oz picante sauce
  • 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
  • 8 whole wheat flour tortillas
  • 8 oz light sour cream
Directions:
In a saucepan, combine dressing mix, shredded chicken, sour cream, and picante sauce.  Mix well and heat through.  Fill each tortilla with 1/4 cup chicken mixture.

These burritos cost $0.97 each or $7.75 total!

Marinated Chicken:
Ingredients:
  • 1 bottle of your favorite Italian salad dressing
  • 6 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts 
Directions:
Put the chicken in a freezer bag.  Pour the Italian dressing over the chicken.  Seal the bag.  Freeze.

**Pull the bag out of the freezer.  Run it under hot water to thaw a bit.  Throw the contents of the bag in the crockpot.  Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8 hours.  Serve over rice, with steamed veggies on the side!

Here's the haul from yesterdays cooking fest:





I am excited to have food in the freezer that we can actually eat!  I'll have to let you now how they all taste! :]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]