Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

Today is Friday!  So that means it's time for Friday's Fabulous Food!!  Today, I want to share a recipe that's a favorite of my family.  Actually, it's my brother Ben's favorite recipe.  Sorry, I didn't take any photos of it..


Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole:
Ingredients:
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 can of cream of celery soup
1 can of milk (use one of the above)
1 box of Uncle Ben's Wild Rice (quick cook)
1 cup of minute rice
4 large chicken breasts
1 small package of slivered almonds (optional)


Directions:
In a bowl, mix the soups, milk, and packet of seasoning (comes in the rice) together.  Spray your 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.  In the baking dish (or in my case, crockpot), mix the rice together.  


If you choose to cook the chicken before hand, cut them into small chunks.  Then mix it in with the soups. You can also thaw the chicken and cut them into chunks.  *If I'm using my crockpot, I will put whole, frozen chicken breasts in and cut them later.* 


If you want to add in almonds, do this here.  My dad and Tyler hate the almonds, so I don't add them in the recipe anymore.  However, I like them...it gives the recipe a little "crunch."


Anyway you cook the chicken, mix it all in with the rice.  You'll want to scoop from the bottom to get all the rice from the bottom mixed in.  If you're using the crockpot, cook on low for about 4 hours.  


If you want to bake the casserole, there are a couple of options.

  • You can bake it at 325 degrees with the baking dish covered with foil for 1 and a half hours.  
OR
  • You can bake it at 375 degrees for 35 minutes uncovered.
This recipe is great anyway you make it.  After discovering I could put it in the crockpot, I have found this is my favorite way to eat it.  The chicken cooks slow and it falls to pieces.  However, when I made it in college for my brother, I would bake it at 375 for 35 minutes and it would be just as delish.  

Tips for microwaving leftovers:
  • Microwave the desired amount and then add a splash of milk.  It gives it that moist feeling. :]
Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]