Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

No-Sew Christmas Tree Skirt Tutorial

Hey guys!
I thought I would share with you how I made my tree skirt!
This is my first ever "tutorial," if you will.

I had already purchased 6 prints of Christmas fabric at Joann's earlier this fall.
I wanted them all to complement each other in case I had a project for all 6 of them.
Lo and behold, I did.

Supplies Needed:

  • 1 cheap, felt tree skirt {the uglier, the better...it makes you feel SO much better about your finished project}
  • 6 patterns of Christmas fabric  (these measurements are most definitely approximations)
    • 1st ruffle:  approx. 1 3/4 yards
    • 2nd ruffle:  approx. 1 1/2 yard
    • 3rd ruffle:  approx. 1 yard
    • 4th ruffle:  approx. 3/4 yard
    • 5th ruffle:  approx. 1/2 yard
    • 6th ruffle:  approx. 1/4 yard
  • Rotary cutter
  • Rotary mat
  • Ruler
  • Hot glue gun
  • 5-6 hot glue sticks
  • Patience



Above is the 41" felt tree skirt that I purchased at Deal's for $1.
I measured out my material and cut them in 4 inch strips using my rotary cutter, mat, and ruler.
I honestly guessed at how much material I needed.
When I found out I needed more, I basted the ends of my strips together using my sewing machine, but you could just glue them and it wouldn't matter.



I started with the largest ruffle around the bottom and worked my way up.  
I started gluing my strip, just an inch from the edge of the tree skirt.
As I glued, I made it ruffle.


After each layer was finished, I started the next.
**Be careful...that glue gets hot.  I burned my fingers a couple of times.**



Ta-da!!  It took me approximated 5 hours to complete the entire thing.


As I've said to many people, we don't have a big tree yet.  We're waiting until we buy a house to purchase one, so for now, I used it around my button ornament tree!  I think it looks cute as it flows off our fireplace onto the floor.  I hope to purchase a ruffling foot for my sewing machine, so that maybe one day I'll sew another one.

1 comment:

  1. I found you through Faithful City Mouse. Super fun cute blog. Wanted to pass this along:
    I have a ruffler foot and I despise it. Perhaps you will ahve better luck and love a ruffler, but I am not a fan, and maybe this will save you money anyhow.
    An alternative method I learned at Craft Weekend is the following:
    Set your machined to zig zag stich (a fairly wide length)
    Grab a spool of thread (a different bold color would be helpful but whatever you have will do).
    You will basically zig zag over the thread down the length of your fabric. The thread from the spool that you are feeding down the fabric won't be sewn onto the fabric. It will be free to move up and down.
    Once done, remove your piece (carefully) from your machine and cut the thread from the spool, leaving a fairly long tail.
    Now, hold the thread from the spool and gently pull to create a ruffle.
    Hope this made sense.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]