Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Now We're Parents??

If you asked my mom how many kids she has, she may answer, "Six."

Those of you who know her may respond, "Huh?  You only have three."
Then she will have the chance to tell you that our family has sponsored three Haitian kids from Haitian Christian Mission for several years now.  
When my brother was in 5th or 6th grade, he came home from a church camp with a little boy named Woody.

He had picked him out after listening to someone speak about child sponsorships.
So our family decided to sponsor him.
When we made this important decision, he received his school fees paid for, a uniform, his books, and a meal.
Some of these kids will eat their only meal while they're at school.
They will also be able to hear the Good News of Jesus Christ.

Matthew 25:40 (NIV 84) says,
"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

In college, I attended a walk-through program that World Vision put on.
Basically, it was a big maze set up in a large room.  
There were 4 starting points, each with a child's name from a third world country written at the start.
As I walked through this "maze," I saw how these kids lived.
I read their story.
Many of whom had been affected by HIV/AIDS.
Many who lived in houses with 10-12 family members.
I walked away from that night, severely impacted by their stories.
I even wrote a poem about one of the boys for my poetry class.
I'll share that later on.
I've always had a heart for overseas missions, specifically Africa.
My hope is that I will be able to one day take a trip to Africa to work with kids and families who've been affected by HIV/AIDS.

John 15:16 (NIV 84) says,
"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name."

God chose us.
He chose us to be His child.
Because of this, we wanted to share that same feeling with someone who needs it.
God has a heart for the poor, and as His Children, we should too.

Luke 3:11 (NIV 84) says,
“John answered, ‘The man with two tunics should share with him who has none, and the one who has food should do the same.’"

It's Christmas-time.
It's the time of year where we celebrate the birth of our Savior.
God sent His son to save us.
He gave us the absolute best gift anyone could ever know.
So at this time of the year, Tyler and I felt the need to give back.
We decided to sponsor a child from Nicaragua.
The radio station that we listen to is participating in "Christmas with Compassion."
Their goal is to sponsor the 1,333 kids that are on the list for the entire country.
How cool?
So now, we will support a little boy...who had been waiting for sponsorship for 350 days!
I can't wait to get his picture to hang on our fridge!

There are so many kids who are in need this Christmas.
Some who've never heard of Jesus Christ.
They need a Savior just as bad as you do.
Might you think about sponsoring a little boy or girl for just a mere $40 a month?
**I've linked to 3 different websites in this post where you can start your sponsorship today.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]