Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Overcomers


When was the last time you actually sat down to memorize scripture?  Ok, let's be honest.  When was the last time you sat down to memorize anything?

I remember when I was a kid going to youth group in elementary school and middle school, we had "Overcomers."  I never knew why it was called that.  Now I do.  When we're in situations, we should be able to overcome the trial with God's promises that are hidden in our heart.

6th grade was the last year for Overcomers.  Sad as it sounds, that might be the last time I sat down to actually memorize scripture.

Now let me tell you a little bit about this program.  I think we had it once a month.  We were on some sort of rotation.  We had College Care night {we made cookies, wrote letters, and sent college kids packages in the mail}, Missions Night {we made goodies, went shopping for toys, and wrote letters to missionaries}, TLC {went to visit folks in the nursing homes or shut-ins}, and Overcomers {memorizing scripture and Sword drills}.  

For Overcomers, we had these folders.  They had a list of verses {worth a certain amount of points} that we could memorize.  They varied from easy ones like John 3:16 to the 5 Steps of Salvation {5 verses to memorize and repeat at once}.  We'd study the verses, try to memorize them, and then repeat them to our sponsor.  When we had it word for word, they'd initial the verse and put our points on a tally sheet.

At the end of the semester, we counted our points up and got to spend them in the "Overcomers Store."  We would also have an Overcomers program during Sunday night church.  We would memorize a challenging verse and repeat it in front of the whole congregation.

This might not have been my absolute favorite night of the rotation, but I can say it has helped me in my walk with Christ.  There are those verses that you can repeat to yourself to help you feel better.  When I think back, I remember that I memorized that growing up in youth group.

>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<

Fast forward to present day.  I was introduced to Leslie through another blog.  Well, as I was catching up on my blog reading this past week, I came across this post that she wrote.  Well, I was convicted through her post about memorizing Scripture.  I had been thinking about memorizing for awhile, but her post just sparked something in me to act out on those feelings.

I decided to comment on her post to ask what her "memorizing notebook" was.  I was intrigued.  I just had to know.  I'm always looking for new ideas on how to learn.  Well, in turn, she emailed me back to let me know she posted on that subject.  So I read this post to see what it was all about.

I just love that she found another woman's blog to help keep her accountable {see her post here}!  Isn't that what the Family of God is for?  To help each other?  Well, I'm going to join in with her.  I'm going to start meeting with others twice a month to report back on what I've been memorizing.  

Psalm 119:11
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

Psalm 19:14
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

I pray that I will be able to hide God's word in my heart and that when I meditate on His word, that it will please Him.

I want to send that challenge out to you.  Would you take the challenge with me of memorizing Scripture?  It sounds scary, I know.  But start small, and work your way up.  The benefits of it will bless you.  I promise.   If you have no idea where to start, let me know and I'll give you a few verses. :]

I'm learning one verse {or section of verses} every two weeks.  I think that's a fair timeframe.  So if you're up for the challenge, will you comment to let me know?  I think accountability is so important in our walk with Christ.  I would love for you to hold me accountable.

My verses are in the picture above.  That is what I'm learning and will recite on October 1st. It is never too late to start.  

2 comments:

  1. I am going to join you. my first verse is Deuteronomy 32: 2-4

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was inspired by Leslie too! I am doing 2 verses a week but they are verses that I am already familiar with but just need to really commit to memory. I will probably do less per week in the next few months :) so far I have done John 13:34-45, John 3:30, galations 2:20 and 2 corinthians 5:17-18 :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]