Pages

Monday, June 19, 2017

Healthy at Home



Health is a journey, not a destination.   Every day I have to choose healthier options over unhealthy ones.  Every day I have to choose to be better than I was yesterday.  So when I learn new information and knowledge, I have to either choose to act on it or not.

 At age 15, I was officially diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, abbreviated PCOS.  I was given very little information about the diagnosis, but it gave me reason why I had very irregular periods and it was perhaps the reason why I got my first period at age 9. The doctor basically told me that I could go on birth control to regulate my cycle or do nothing at all.  We (my parents and I) chose to do nothing at that time.

I didn't know a whole lot about PCOS, and neither did the doctor.  Unfortunately, doctors still don't know much.  A lot of times, I feel way more knowledgeable about my diagnosis than they do, because I've since chosen to educate myself as much as possible.

Here's what I do know:  PCOS is an endocrine disorder.  That basically means my hormones are all out of whack.  So that means I need to get my hormones in check for my body to be able to perform optimally.  My journey to healthier living started a little over four years ago.  I knew that in order for me to get my hormones in check, that required healthier eating and more physical activity.

I've learned what foods I can eat to feel my best.  I've learned to read labels on the foods that I choose to purchase.  I've learned what my body doesn't like.  When it comes to nutrition, I have the knowledge to make those every day decisions.  But things still haven't been completely in check for me.  So I started to question.  What if I could do more?

In my nutrition certification course, I have learned a lot about the human body.  One of the things I've learned is that our skin is the largest organ.  Have you ever thought about that?  Sure, our skin makes us look pretty...would you want to see humans without skin on?  Ick!  Not me.  So if our skin is the largest organ of the body, don't I want to treat it with kindness as well?

This is where my health journey has taken another step.  I have heard for many years that cleaning supplies, bath and body products, and everyday things we use in our homes can be toxic to our environment.  At the time that I had heard these things, I wasn't ready to do anything about it.

But now...after I've educated myself on my own diagnosis, learned about our organ system, and listened to experts talk about the things in our products and how they can interrupt our body systems...now I'm ready.

Over the next few days, I will be sharing with you what I have done in my own home to get rid of the toxins.  I'll be sharing exactly what I've been looking at and the processes I've taken to get my skin healthy, which in turn affects the rest of my body.

If you have questions along the way, please ask!  I may not have all the answers because I'm certainly in the thick of it and still learning, but I will absolutely try my best to help you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]