Pages

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

How Do You Get a PCOS Diagnosis?



It is September which means that it is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Awareness Month!  I am hoping to bring more awareness to this syndrome and help educate you along the way.  I am not a doctor or a nutritionist.  I am a woman who was diagnosed early in life and has been learning about my diagnosis ever since.  If you have specific questions, you can, of course, ask them, and I will do my best to answer.  However, I would encourage you to take them to your doctor as well.

Being diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome can be tricky.  Often times, the patient has to keep pushing to get an official diagnosis.  Sometimes it takes going to multiple doctors in order to get a diagnosis. PCOS often goes undiagnosed or is misdiagnosed.  It's so tricky.  I just read a staggering statistic from health.com that said it took an average of 2 years and 3 doctors to get a diagnosis.  This is very, very sad.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is fairly common, yet it takes quite a bit to get a diagnosis.  If it sounds crazy, it's because it is!  Ten percent of women in childbearing years are affected by PCOS, but less than 50% are ever diagnosed.  It is not diagnosable by just a single test.  In fact, it may take several tests, several times, to get a diagnosis.

 In order to be officially diagnosed with PCOS, the patient must have at least 2 of the 3 following symptoms:
  1. The woman may have irregular or non-existent periods.
  2. The woman may have excess androgens.
  3. The woman may have polycystic ovaries.
There are various tests that can be used to find the answers to these symptoms such as a pelvic exam, a blood test, and/or an ultrasound.

I have 3 of the 3 symptoms mentioned above and was diagnosed by a blood test and ultrasound. There are several things that could be a factor as to how the doctor tests you.  My doctor was sensitive to the fact that I was not sexually active, so I did not have to have a pelvic exam.  The ultrasound was clear enough to show that I had numerous cysts on both ovaries, and my blood test came back with high testosterone levels (as well as elevated insulin and sugar levels, which I will talk about later this month).

You know your body best.  If you think you may have PCOS, you will have to learn to be your own advocate.  There may not be a doctor on your side, pushing to help get you answers.  You may have to push for them yourself.  As I have mentioned previously, take note of what your body is saying. Write these things down, do your own research, and take the information to your doctor. 



If you know someone who could benefit from reading this blog, by all means, share it!  After all, sharing is caring and greatly appreciated!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]