Pages

Monday, September 4, 2017

What is PCOS?



It is September which means that it is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Awareness Month!  I am hoping to bring more awareness to this syndrome and help educate you along the way.  Before I get started, I want you to be aware that I am not a doctor or a nutritionist.  I am a woman who was diagnosed early in life and has been learning about my diagnosis ever since.  If you have specific questions, you can, of course, ask them, and I will do my best to answer.  However, I would encourage you to take them to your doctor as well.

So what exactly is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome?  Good question.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a hormonal endocrine disorder that affects 1 in 10 women.  That means about 10% of all women of childbearing age are affected by it.

It can affect:
  • the menstrual cycle.
  • hormone levels.
  • insulin levels.
  • ability to have kids.
  • the heart.
  • blood vessels.
  • physical appearance.
  • metabolism.
PCOS is the most common hormonal reproductive problem of women of childbearing age.  Typically, women with PCOS have these characteristics--
  1. high levels of male hormones (androgens).
  2. an irregular or no menstrual cycle.
  3. may or may not have many small cysts on their ovaries.
I will share in detail about the symptoms of the syndrome and how to be diagnosed at alater date, but those are the main three characteristics.

When I was first diagnosed, I thought it was all about the reproductive system, as the doctors talk a lot about the ovaries, cysts, and trying to get pregnant.  And many women aren't diagnosed until they do try to conceive, however, it is not just a reproductive issue.  PCOS is a whole body issue.  As the month progresses, I hope to share with you how, as women with PCOS, we can treat the symptoms, but also try to heal as best as we can, especially since there isn't a cure.

The statistic of 1 in 10 women can seem like you're alone, or at least that's how I felt.  I only knew one person who had PCOS, so I felt like it was rare.  In reality, there are many, many women affected by it.  My eyes were opened to that statistic and what it really means, by hopping on social media and searching for posts about it.  There are some great support groups, and the women who are affected by it have bonded through "cysterhood." So if you happen to be one of the ten who is affected, you are not alone.



If you know someone who could benefit from reading this blog, by all means, share it!  After all, sharing is caring and greatly appreciated!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]