Pages

Friday, September 8, 2017

My PCOS Story



It is September which means that it is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Awareness Month!  I am hoping to bring more awareness to this syndrome and help educate you along the way.  I am not a doctor or a nutritionist.  I am a woman who was diagnosed early in life and has been learning about my diagnosis ever since.  If you have specific questions, you can, of course, ask them, and I will do my best to answer.  However, I would encourage you to take them to your doctor as well.

When I was just 9 or 10 years old, I had my first period.  I didn't really know what it was.  I thought something was wrong with me.  I hadn't had the "talk" yet, as that was supposed to happen in 4th grade.  But it happened earlier than that for me.  I hadn't even started wearing a training bra yet.  So yes, it was extremely embarrassing.  It came once and then didn't come back until I was 14.

When I was 10 or 11, I had some extreme pain in the right lower side of my abdomen.  My cousin had just had an appendectomy, so we "tested" out the pushing in of the abdomen to see if it hurt worse when it was released.  It didn't, so we were fairly certain it wasn't appendicitis.  My mom and I chalked it up to being random growing pains.

Entering high school, I hadn't had a normal period yet.  Mine were sporadic and super heavy.  They would happen when I least expected, and again, it was super embarrassing.  I always had to carry hygiene products with me and an extra set of clothes, which most of the time happened to be black gym shorts.

After a stint where I had gone 5 months without a cycle, my mom took me to her gynecologist.  Due to some family history, we already thought that I could possibly have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, but I didn't have a formal diagnosis.  I had to do some fasting blood work, and I also had an ultrasound that day.

At the ripe age of 15, I was formally diagnosed with PCOS.  My androgen levels came back high, my insulin levels came back high, my HA1C came back high, and from looking at the ultrasound, I had cysts on both my right and left ovaries.

I was given some paperwork with information about PCOS, but at 15, I didn't really care.  Okay, great...I had a diagnosis.  That explains the belly weight, the irregular periods, and extreme mood swings.  It explained the unwanted body hair, and it even explained my symptoms from when I was younger.  

I thought that PCOS was a reproductive issue.  That's how it was presented to me, but I knew that diet was important as well.  It wasn't until these last few years that I realized how important diet and exercise is to create a healthy lifestyle with PCOS.  Food is medicine, and I'm living proof of that today.

One of the treatment options for PCOS is birth control pills.  We decided not to go on birth control once I was diagnosed.  It seemed a little early, and I was okay with that at the time.  When I turned 18 and was heading off to college, I did go on birth control.  I wanted to know when I was going to have a period, and I wanted to lessen the effects.

Something that I've not gone public with is the fact that I went off birth control in January.  I didn't go off to try and start a family.  In fact, I feel strongly about being mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually stable before starting a family.  The last two years have been rocky for me with the death of my Granny, going through grief and depression, and then moving to a new city.  My husband and I have felt the need to be able to plant roots here, and then hopefully in the future start a family.

So I feel like I have a different view of PCOS from this side of things.  I have found that in order for me to truly live a healthy lifestyle, I have to get my hormones in check.  PCOS is a hormonal issue, not just a reproductive one.  To be able to live healthily, you've got to have healthy hormone levels.

The reason I started my health and fitness journey, and the reason I became a health and fitness coach is to truly become a healthy person...inside and out.  Since going off birth control, I have been able to see that healing in my body.  The last three months, I've had a period.  That may not mean much to you, but I've never had a natural period three months in a row.

I feel so much better being off the pill.  My mind is stable.  I feel better physically.  There are a lot of things I feel better about, and I don't regret going off of it at all.  But even more so, I'm excited that my body is actually doing what it's supposed to be doing.  I know that I am on the right track, and this journey has been worth it.

So if you're struggling with PCOS, I just want you to know that you're not alone.  This journey is hard.  It's so tough, but when you see the effects of making going choices, it's worth it!  If I can help you get started on your health and fitness journey, please reach out to me!

To hear me share my story, see the video below:



If you know someone who could benefit from reading this blog, by all means, share it!  After all, sharing is caring and greatly appreciated!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]