Pages

Friday, September 22, 2017

Things You SHOULD Do for Those Who Have PCOS


It is September which means that it is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Awareness Month!  I am hoping to bring more awareness to this syndrome and help educate you along the way.  I am not a doctor or a nutritionist.  I am a woman who was diagnosed early in life and has been learning about my diagnosis ever since.  If you have specific questions, you can, of course, ask them, and I will do my best to answer.  However, I would encourage you to take them to your doctor as well.

Yesterday, I shared some of the things that you may not want to say to someone who has Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.  Today, I want to share some things that you can and should do.

I believe that the most important thing that you can do for someone with PCOS is just be there to support them.  Be someone that they can come talk to without fear of judgment.  Be there for them to vent to.  Be someone they can bounce ideas off of.  Be someone that they can be confident in.  PCOS is not easy, and sometimes we just want someone to be there to talk to.  If they decide something that you don't necessarily agree with, realize that it's okay.  It's their decision.

Secondly, educate yourself.  One of the best things in supporting someone you know with PCOS is educating yourself.  Figure out what they're going through.  Read up on the symptoms.  Learn what is happening.  Listen to what they have to say.  Learn about their own story.  This will give you a little more insight into what they are going through.

Lastly, don't criticize them.  Instead, compliment them.  Don't be negative about their decisions.  Ultimately, it's their life, they get to decide what happens.  Instead of asking them, "Why are you eating that?"  You could simply offer a compliment and tell them you are proud of them for making healthy decisions.  Instead of telling them which doctor they should go see, tell them you are proud of them for being proactive about their health.  Learn to compliment.  This will go a long way.

What other things do you want your friends and family to tell you while you're struggling with PCOS?



If you know someone who could benefit from reading this blog, by all means, share it!  After all, sharing is caring and greatly appreciated!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]