Pages

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Journey to Jesus: Satisfaction



Are you looking for satisfaction in all of the wrong places?

How many times have you done something thinking that you would be satisfied after it was finished ONLY to find that it left you hungry for more?  Have you ever stepped on the scale to see a lower number than previously and felt satisfied?  Have you ever posted something on social media and thought that even if you never got any likes or comments, you would be satisfied?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that you have probably wanted more after doing any one of those things above.  I have stepped on the scale to see a loss, only to want more weight loss.  I have posted on social media before only to come back and see that I have received the most amount of likes that I have ever received on a post before...and I, then, wanted to see if I could top that.  It seems like anything we do leaves us wanting more.  It never allows us to feel satisfied or content.

Why?

Because we are looking for satisfaction in all the wrong places.

For so many years I chased the wrong things.  I started my fitness journey because simply, I wanted to be skinny.  I was tired of being called fat and I wanted to be skinny.  I thought that if I could lose the weight, then I would be satisfied with myself.  For many, many years I wanted a boyfriend.  I thought that if I could just get a boyfriend--someone to like me--that I would be satisfied.  I thought that if I could just find friends in St. Louis, then I would be satisfied.

But I was looking for that satisfaction in all the wrong places.

I mentioned previously that I had joined a Bible Study Fellowship group.  I originally joined this group to help me develop a relationship with Christ, but later I found that it was healing my broken heart from losing my Granny.  I knew I wanted to continue with the group, so I joined in again this year.  What I did not know was that I would be diving in deeper and be convicted of even more things in my life.

So many times I have looked to material things for my satisfaction, thinking that if I could have the next best thing, I would be happy.  But I found out that when I have a right relationship with Christ, I am content in Him and I have peace and hope.



My BSF notes say this:
When your satisfaction and security are based on anyone or anything less than Jesus, you will always be disappointed.
Maybe you struggle with this.  Maybe you are feeling discontentment in your life.  Simply ask God to satisfy you fully in Him.  He wants nothing more than you to receive that satisfaction and contentment.  But you also have to work at it.  You have to develop and cultivate a relationship with Him daily.

I can be completely satisfied in Him one day and the next, my mind can be elsewhere wanting the latest and greatest. I have to meet with Him daily...multiple times a day to keep my gaze on Him or I will get caught up in this world.

Are you unsatisfied in your life?  What things are you chasing?  Ask Him to help you satisfy you desire for Him.



If you enjoyed this post, please share it or leave a comment! If you're needing some encouragement on your own spiritual journey or are looking for ideas on how to begin or continue with your own Bible study, join The Core!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]