Pages

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Why We Quit: Lack of Commitment



Over the last few days, I have been thinking about why people quit.  I have not necessarily been thinking specifically in the area of health and fitness, but overall.  Why do people quit?  Why do we start things, having the best intentions, only to throw in the towel a couple days later?  In the next couple of days, I want to share with you some reasons why I have found that we quit and how we can pressing on, even in the hard times.

First of all, quitting in somewhat of a new concept for me.  When I was growing up, my parents never let me quit anything.  I remember particularly, when I was a freshman in high school, I listened to my dad's advice and played volleyball and basketball.  I had really wanted to cheer in high school, but I thought I had better listen to him.  So I did.  In order to play volleyball, it was a requirement to run an 8 minute mile and to jump 305 jump ropes in 2 minutes or something crazy like that.  The funny thing is that I got my jump ropes no problem.  I struggled with running.  We were well into the season before I ever got my mile.

I had wanted to quit so badly before the games even started.  But my parents would not let me.  I even remember my grandpa encouraging me.  He told me that I could do it, and that is one memory of him I will always treasure.  Even he believed in me.  But I digress.

It was probably a good thing, though, that they would not let me quit.  I finally ran my 8 minute mile in 7 minutes and 42 seconds.  It is the only mile I have ever run that fast.  But when I finally made my time, I felt that I had won.  I learned that I could push myself, past my limiting beliefs, and meet what I thought was an outlandish goal.  So, thank you, Mom and Dad. :)

But as an adult, I did not have my parents telling me I could not quit. Ultimately, I decided to quit a few things, and as I look back on them, I can see why and where it went wrong.

I was not committed.  There was no reason keeping me committed to doing a certain job or fulfilling a role.  I did not feel a connection at all.  So I gave up.

Are you like that with your health and fitness?  When you start your new routine, you may be all gung-ho, but when it gets tough, are you quick to throw in the towel?

When we quit something, we inevitably let someone down.  When we decide to give up on our health and fitness, the person we let down is ourselves.  That is why it is so important to find a reason to stay committed to it.

In my focus groups, I ask the ladies to tell me why they are starting their journey.  Sometimes, I get answers such as, "I want to lose 10 pounds," or "I want to look good in my swimsuit this summer." Those are valid reasons, but once you reach those goals, will you still be committed to working out and eating healthy?  Or will you decide that since you hit your goal, you do not need to do those things anymore?

You have to dig deeper.  Find a reason that is going to get you out of bed in the morning.  Find a reason deeper than a simple goal that will allow you to make fitness part of your life rather than just for a moment.  Dig deep and find that "why."

When you think of that reason and it pushes you to keep going, you know that you have found the reason to help you stay committed.  What is it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! I try to respond to each comment. So check back to see the response! :]